Friday 13 November 2009

Femin-ish-t


I found myself having an internal struggle last week.


A young woman came into my shop, small child in tow, and after much browsing selected a coat she liked. The sleeves however were slightly too long, so I suggested alteration. She merely smiled and told me that her Mum would do it for her.


Now, I don't know why, but I always assumed the ability to sew miraculously appeared after childbirth, much like the knowledge of testing bottles for heat on your wrist. No one teaches it, it's something that Mums 'just know'.


But she has a child! She's a mum! And she can't sew!


Then I felt horrified. I've clearly been unconsciously channelling outdated beliefs. That Mums know how to sew and Dads know how to use a lawnmower.


The little feminist on the shoulder was horrified!!! "How can you think these things" she cried, burning her tiny, tiny bra. "You've been brought up as a modern woman, where stereotypical gender roles are mocked!"


Alas, it's all been a sham. I'm clearly going to end up cleaning my husband’s house all day while the children are at school, waiting for 11am so I can have my first dirty martini.


Provided I can do so dressed head to toe in Chanel and embark on a torrid and doomed affair it might not be so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment