Sunday 18 October 2009

Work life in-balance...

I've just realised that I've ended up working every day between my Lancaster visits. That's an eleven day stint. Not cool.
The most annoying thing is that because I'm being paid minimum wage I'm not exactly earning the big bucks for my trouble. Can someone please remind me of why I needed to do a degree? Because at the moment I am the most (academically) qualified person in both of my jobs, something that's not reflected in either wage or responsibility.
With 48 people fighting it out for each graduate job, it's small wonder that I find myself in this situation. To be honest, I'm lucky to have two jobs when I have a fantastically wonderful few friends who have enormous brains but have been forced to sign on. Not, however, through a lack of trying.

But has this deficit been mentioned in the jobs crisis? Of course not. I can't blame the politicians really, it's our own bloody fault. A woeful amount of young people turn out to vote, so it's unsurprising that policies tend to be aimed at older generations. In 2001 voter turnout for the over 65s was 87% - for the 18-24s a mere 53% bothered to exercise their democratic rights. It hardly seems worth whacking graduate jobs on the agenda when half of those affected won't actually be giving you an extra vote. And us young 'uns are supposed to be all full of drive and enthusiasm, yet so many don't take the five minutes needed to vote. A right that people have (very recently) died for us to have.

It's shameful.

So, I have the right to have a good old moan about the state of affairs because I use my right to vote. Which is good, because if there's any excuse for a grumble then working eleven days in a row has got to be up there with bank holiday weather...

Gosh, I have been moaning lots on here though. I promise future blogs will contain less depressing material, perhaps I'll talk about clothes. Or rainbows and bunnies.


Maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment